Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Death Penalty for Gays in Uganda

Death penalty for gays? Uganda debates proposal

By KATHARINE HOURELD and GODFREY OLUKYA (AP) – KAMPALA, Uganda — Proposed legislation would impose the death penalty for some gay Ugandans, and their family and friends could face up to seven years in jail if they fail to report them to authorities. Even landlords could be imprisoned for renting to homosexuals.

Gay rights activists say the bill, which has prompted growing international opposition, promotes hatred and could set back efforts to combat HIV/AIDS. They believe the bill is part of a continent wide backlash because Africa's gay community is becoming more vocal.


I have often wondered why the peace loving Muslim community does not stand up in opposition to the terrorist's actions. Perhaps they do, but we do not hear about it.

In that same light, I stand in opposition to this proposal in Uganda. I will be the first to state my view that homosexuality or any sexual relations outside of marriage is sin. But I also believe that this bill goes way overboard in reaction to the issue. I reserve the death penalty for those who take another persons life. This proposal, in a word, is wrong and I pray will not pass.

No comments: