Monday, April 11, 2005

Gene comes out some more

I don't usually visit the Planned Parenthood website, but having been informed of Bishop Robinson's interview I checked it out. See "Bishop V. Gene Robinson Talks To Planned Parenthood.

I realize he is following the ECUSA line on abortion, which is bad enough, but the way he does it shows his contempt for those who do not agree with him. Amazing how tolerance is the word of the day, until a conservative expresses their opinion, then tolerance is thrown out the window.

A few excerpts from the interview:

The reason I love the Episcopal Church is that it actually trusts us to be adults. In a world where everyone tries to paint things as black or white, Episcopalians feel pretty comfortable in the gray areas. What is gray about, Thou shalt not murder?

I'm sure there must be individual congregations, and certainly individuals, who are off the deep end about this issue... So much for tolerance of diverse opinions. If standing up for the life of the unborn, infirmed, aged, handicapped, etc is going off the deep end, let me put on my swim trunks.

And then we absolutely stand behind a woman's right to choose. I think that's a responsible place to be. I don't think it is responsible to stand behind the right of a women to KILL HER BABY.

It's time that we re-familiarize ourselves with our sacred text, so that we can interpret it for the world, and not let the only voice that Americans hear from a Christian standpoint be those wildly conservative voices. Oh my, those wild conservatives who speak the words of the faith handed down to us by the apostles. Very wild, very wild.

That's enough, I can't take any more. Suffice it to say, I am not in agreement with the Bishop on this subject. I wonder if we are still in communion even though he thinks I am wild and have gone off the deep end?

No comments: