Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Lectionary readings for 3/1/05

John 7:37-52

37 On the last day of the festival, the great day, while Jesus was standing there, he cried out, 'Let anyone who is thirsty come to me,
38 and let the one who believes in me drink. As the scripture has said, "Out of the believer's heart shall flow rivers of living water."'

The prophet Isaiah said that God would make streams in the desert.
Isaiah 43:19 See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland.


Jesus is saying that He is the fulfillment of this promise. As he told the woman at the well , “Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, 14but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.” John 4:13, 14

From personal experience, I can say that nothing else satisfies the thirsting of the soul.

Glory to the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit, both now and ever, unto ages of ages. Amen

No comments: