Monday, March 14, 2005

Lent 5 - Raising of Lazarus

We heard again the story of the raising of Lazarus. I began to wonder, what was Lazarus doing during the time Jesus was in the grave. The scriptures do not mention him again.

I can imagine he may have been with his sisters, Mary and Martha, encouraging them by saying, "Hey, look at me. I was dead and now I live because of him. He promised to return in three days. Let's wait and see what happens." He may have been looking for the twelve to tell them the same thing. Since most of them had run away and were in hiding, he may not have found them to encourage them in there time of fear and despair. Or he may have met up with them in the upper room and said, "Hey look guys. He told us he would be killed and would return in three days. I'm here because of Him. Look at me and believe."

Again, we don't know, but I can only imagine. Lazarus would have had quite a story to tell of his time in the grave. I think it possible, one reason Jesus brought him back from the dead was to be an example to the others as to the power of God while Jesus was not with them. Those three days were probably very long ones, not knowing what would happen. But Lazarus would have been a living icon of what God can do.

No comments: