Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Lectionary readings for 3/30/05

John 15:1-11

5 I am the vine, you are the branches. Those who abide in me and I in them bear much fruit, because apart from me you can do nothing.

Apart from Jesus, we can do nothing. These are powerful words. Some would have us believe that Jesus is just another teacher. What other teacher says this about himself?

Just as a branch cannot live apart from the vine, so we can do nothing apart from Jesus. We have no life apart from him.

Lord have mercy upon us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wonder how many clergy in the U.S. and Canadian Anglican churches still believe that they are attached to the vine. I wonder about this when I fail to hear Christ preached in our churches and only hear sermons extoling self-realization and self-esteem, and condeming the only remaining sin, "judgmentalism". When did obedience slip into judgmentalism and prejudice? When did they stop believing in God?