Thursday, March 03, 2005

Lectionary readings for 3/3/05

John 8:21-32

31 Then Jesus said to the Jews who had believed in him, 'If you continue in my word, you are truly my disciples;
32 and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.'

..."the truth will make you free." This is another one of Jesus' statements that is often quoted, or should I say misquoted. We never hear the beginning of His statement, "If you continue in my word". The Amplified Bible puts it this way, If you abide in My word [hold fast to My teachings and live in accordance with them], you are truly My disciples.

So, it looks like there are some preconditions to knowing the truth. Abiding in, holding fast to, and living in accordance with the word of God.

Let me let you in on an inside secret. The truth is not a system of ideas that we give mental assent to. The Truth is a person. His name is Jesus. "I am the Way the Truth and the Life"... John 14:6


Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal One,
Have mercy on us

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fear the Lord and follow His commandments.
How often we read this in His holy book. As Cal so aptly points out, it is not enough to simply believe in an intellectual sense, we must hear and obay. Faith is not an abstract principle, it is a living allegiance to our King. By praoticing His Word we not only prove and solidify our commitment to Christ, but we serve as the example that will show others Christianity at work. We are all Christ's ambassadores. We must witness through our acts as well as our thoughts.
But, the commitment to the Word must come first. It is not enough to be a good person. One must be a disciple of Jesus Christ. One must trust in the Lord and live the faith.