Friday, March 04, 2005

Lectionary readings for 3/4/05

John 8:33-47

41 You are indeed doing what your father does.' They said to him, 'We are not illegitimate children; we have one father, God himself.'
42 Jesus said to them, 'If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and now I am here. I did not come on my own, but he sent me.
43 Why do you not understand what I say? It is because you cannot accept my word.
44 You are from your father the devil, and you choose to do your father's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks according to his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies.
45 But because I tell the truth, you do not believe me.
46 Which of you convicts me of sin? If I tell the truth, why do you not believe me?
47 Whoever is from God hears the words of God. The reason you do not hear them is that you are not from God.'

I have often heard it said that everyone is a child of God. Jesus seems to be giving us a contrary view. Some are and some are not.

On the basic level of creation, we can say we are all children of God since He is our creator. However, Jesus is making a differentiation of the heart. Who does our heart belong to? Who owns our affections? The first commandment, Thou shalt love the Lord you God with your whole being. The second is like it, Love your neighbor as yourself. Jesus said, "By this shall all men know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another."

Unfortunately, I don't have the wisdom or the insight to know who is and who is not a child of God on this level, as Jesus did. He knew the hearts of those He was speaking to and could make these statements. The Pharisee's certainly thought they were the children of God, but Jesus tells them otherwise. Since I can't know with 100% certainty, I guess my job is to treat everyone the same, as if they were a child of God. That way, if I error, I error on the side of good rather than the dark side. Have I come full circle?

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner.

No comments: